Metal Carport Kits


Over the past few days I have been searching the net for carport kits. The weather here has been sunny and cool or, in other words, perfect outside building project weather. I am keen to start this project before the heat of the summer arrives. I'm actually just keen to be outside as much as possible these days which is the way a typically feel in May.

There are a number of companies that offer metal carport kits online. Today, I have found a company that offers a kit for a single slope carport which I think I need. This same carport also has a snow load capacity of 30 lbs and can withstand winds of up to a 90 mph. I'm assuming that the snow load capacity is per square foot but the website wasn't clear. Sadly, all of the metal carport kits look very functional or just plain industrial. They would be fine in a commercial setting or industrial setting or even a farm setting but not in a downtown residential setting.

For the sake of being thorough in my information, this metal carport kit was for a two car carport and measured 18 feet wide, 20 feet long and was 8 feet high. From a ground mount it had a clearance of 7'11'. From a concrete mount it had a clearance of 9'8". The site says it easy to assemble and only had 33 parts, 12 of which consist of the frame. The cost of this kits is $1,795US plus $199 for shipping. Although, unattractive and not for my purposes double carport kit seems to be very sturdy. This website states that most kits on the market today only have a snow load of 10-20 lbs. Therefore, I know now that I can insist on a double carport that has a snow bearing capacity of 30 plus lbs.

I haven't given up on the idea of carport kits but I think a metal carport kit won't do for my house. I really want a kit that can blend into a 100 year old house. I want passers-by to think it has always been integral to the house or at least added in the 40s or 50s. I have seen shed kits that are really handsome or a bit whimsical in that they look like little houses with window boxes etc. This is the type of kit I want for my carport. I fear I might find I'm disappointed either with the results or the metal type or the price tag of a more handsome variety.

I think a metal roof might be nice and would blend in nicely with my home but I think the supporting legs will have to be clad in wood or brick or stone. I'm giving up on metal carport kits but I will still give another hour or two to finding another type of good looking kit.