Metal Carport

metal carport
I have found a base level starting point. This metal carport is pretty darn ugly and would be a terrible addition to my house but it is a good place to start.

It is 20 feet by 10 feet and attaches directly to the side of a building. The manufacturer says that it is easy to assemble and all of the pieces are already cut and predrilled. The frame is made out of a strong vinyl coated steel. It comes in one colour (eggshell) and has a 15-year limited warranty.

On the website it says it can be assembled in one day with a Phillips screwdriver, pliers, work gloves and a stepladder. I believe the price tag was $1,700US plus $10 for shipping.

Frankly, I'd be worried about how the carport legs are secured to the ground and the carport's ability to handle the snow load and falling ice. Also the snow would blow in and I would still be shoveling most mornings (something I am trying to avoid). In addition this carport doesn't lend itself to any type of storage which is important to me. I think, as shown the the picture, this type of carport is more about protection from the sun and therefore would not suit my purposes at all.

I'm not at all interested in this carport but now I know that I will likely be spending at least $2,000.00 if I decide to go with a metal carport. The benefits of this carport would be the price, ease of construction, cheap home delivery and speed of construction. Until now it had not occurred to me that the carport could be constructed in one day. I will continue my search.